NHS Individual Placement & Support
What is NHS IPS and what do we do?
NHS IPS (National Health Service Individual Placement and Support) supports people with severe mental health difficulties into employment. It involves intensive, individual support, a rapid job search followed by placement in paid employment, and up to 26 weeks in-work support for both the employee and the employer.
Employment Specialists work in direct partnership with clinicians to ensure full support is given to each service user wanting to achieve paid employment.
- We tailor information, advice and guidance relevant to the service users’ current position and future desired goals
- Support with benefit queries, entitlements and permitted hour rules are discussed if relevant
- We create a vocational profile and action plan tailored to the needs of each service user which identifies key skills and the right employment industry
- 121 mentoring to increase health and wellbeing and assist with removal of any barrier that restricts paid employment outcomes
- We support with CV creation, interview techniques and employability skills to achieve competitive employment
- Full employer engagement and supported job search to achieve the right paid role for the service user
- Once paid employment is achieved, a further 26 weeks in-work support is given to help the service user overcome any further barriers that may restrict the sustainability of paid employment.
How we deliver
Each Employment Specialist carries a caseload capacity of 25 at any one time. Within 3 working days of a referral, initial contact is made with the service user to arrange a 3-way information session, with the clinician also attending if preferred.
- Within 15 working days after the initial meet, a vocational profile and action plan will be achieved
- The service user will identify their strengths and aspirations as well as any relevant health considerations for discussion
- An action plan is developed with the focus on exploring benefit counselling, employment decision making and priority barriers to overcome
- Employability training and employer engagement will commence within 1 month.
How to make a referral
Any service user that wants to achieve paid employment aged 18+ (16+ from Early Intervention only) and currently receiving mental health support from NHS Resource Centres in both Cheshire West and East are eligible.